Truth in Sale of Housing

When you sell a house in Minneapolis, the City requires an evaluation to keep housing safe. Learn what buyers and sellers need to know.

I want to

About evaluations

Properties that need an evaluation

The following property types require a Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) evaluation before you sell them:

  • Single-family houses 
  • Duplexes 
  • Townhouses 
  • First-time condominium conversions

You must have a full Truth in Housing report before you can show a property.

Properties that do not need an evaluation

You do not need a TISH report for a property if the City has issued a:

  • Certificate of Code Compliance
    • The City issues this certificate after a property is brought out of condemnation.
    • It is good for up to one year after the City issues it.

Read about code compliance for condemned properties

  • Certificate of Occupancy
    • The City issues this certificate for newly built properties.
    • It is good for one sale after the City issues it.

Read about the certificate of occupancy inspection

Types of sales that need a report

The following types of sales require a Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) report:

  • Sale by owner 
  • Sale by real estate agent 
  • Real estate agent-assisted sale 
  • Advertising home sale
  • Contract for deed 
  • Other title transfer

Energy disclosure report

View a sample energy disclosure report and read our Energy Disclosure Policy frequently asked questions.

Contact us

Minneapolis Truth in Housing (TISH)

Community Planning & Economic Development (CPED)






505 Fourth Ave. S., 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office hours

7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Minneapolis 311


7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

See list of City holidays