How to start service

If your carts say "Property of the City of Minneapolis," you have City collection service. Fees for the service are included on the utility bill for the property.

New property owners

City garbage and recycling services stay with the property

City ordinance requires Solid Waste & Recycling to collect from all residences with four or fewer units. 

  • Switch the utility bill into your name and you'll automatically be signed up for Solid Waste & Recycling services. 
  • You'll receive a welcome letter from our office that tells you how many carts are registered to your property and explains our services.
  • After the utility bill is in your name, you can change the number or size of your carts.

Contact Utility Billing

Overview of Solid Waste & Recycling services

Organics recycling requires a separate sign-up

We'll also pick up organics recycling (food scraps and other compostable items) if you sign up for it. There's no extra cost to take part in the organics recycling program.

Learn more about signing up for organics recycling collection

New renters

Your landlord might give you information about your building's collection service, or they may have the information sent directly to you.

  • Contact us if you have City collection services and want information about garbage and recycling mailed to you.
  • If you do not have City collection services, contact your hauler for information. The name and phone number will be on the side of the garbage and recycling containers at your building.

If you're interested in organics recycling (food scraps and other compostables) collection for your building, learn about your options.


Charges for your garbage and recycling service will be put on your City of Minneapolis utility bill. Each building is charged a base fee per month per dwelling unit.

 The base fee covers:
  • Collection
  • Processing of all materials except garbage (garbage processing costs are covered by the garbage cart fee)
  • Our voucher program for bringing extra waste to the South Transfer Station drop-off site

See garbage and recycling billing for more information

Businesses and large buildings

You may hire any licensed hauler, including the City of Minneapolis, for your garbage and recycling service if you manage a large residential building (five or more units), business, school or other organization.

Contact us

Solid Waste & Recycling

Public Works





Eastside Maintenance Facility

2635 University Ave NE

Minneapolis, MN 55418

Office hours

8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

This building is closed to the public.