Before you use an ATM
- Only use ATMs in well-lit, highly travelled locations.
- Do any paperwork before you get to the ATM.
- At night, bring someone with you.
While at the ATM
- Be aware of who is around. If something doesn’t feel right, cancel the transaction. Try later or somewhere else.
- If you get cash, put it away immediately. Do not count it at the ATM.
- At a drive-up ATM, make sure your doors and other windows are locked.
- When leaving an ATM, make sure that no one is following you. If someone follows your car, drive to a police station or well-lighted, open business. Flash your lights and sound your horn to get attention.
If you are the victim of ATM fraud, call the National Fraud Information Center at 1-800-876-7060.