Rent a Scooter
How to rent a scooter
Basic scooter rental rules
To rent a scooter, you need
- To be age 18 or older
- A valid driver’s license
- A credit, debit or prepaid card
We also encourage you to
- Wear a helmet
- Familiarize yourself with riding and parking rules
If you do not have a driver's license
State law does not require a driver’s license to operate a motorized foot scooter in Minnesota. Still, most companies require customers to have a driver’s license as part of their rental agreements.
Renting a scooter
Get the app to start riding
- To rent a scooter, you need to download the scooter company’s app.
- Enter into a rental agreement with specific terms and conditions.
To get the scooter app: visit the scooter company website or the app store.
The company rental agreements currently require the following:
- A photo of your driver’s license
- Credit/debit/prepaid card number
- Your contact information
Find available scooters
You can find available scooters by using the company's app.
- Start the rental by tapping the “Ride” (or similar) button on the app se the app to sc
- Use the app to scan the QR code located between the handlebars of the scooter.
End your ride
- To end your ride, find an appropriate parking spot and tap the "End" (or similar) button on the app
- Take a photo showing where you parked the scooter.
Scooter rentals in Minneapolis
4 a.m. - 12 a.m. (Midnight)
Ordinance requires companies disable scooters at midnight. They're turned back on the following day at 4 a.m.
Unsafe riding conditions
If it becomes snowy and icy, the City may suspend operations temporarily or through the end of the year.
Scooter rides outside of the City
You can ride scooters in any city, including St. Paul and the suburbs. That is, if there's enough battery life. You're responsible for following the scooter rules and laws of the city you're riding in.
Once the ride ends
- You cannot rent scooters left outside of Minneapolis
- You cannot place another ride until you return the scooter to Minneapolis
Amount of scooters in Minneapolis
We're approved to have, at most, 2,500 scooters in Minneapolis for the 2020 - 2021 program. We also have 6 licensees operating.
This number may increase or decreased during the program.
We adjust the number of scooters operating in the city based on:
- Demand levels
- Safety incidents
- Amount of customer and citizen complaints we receive
- Other considerations
We must distribute at least 30% of scooter fleets (at least 750) throughout the Areas of Concentrated Poverty in Minneapolis
Such areas include:
We cannot distribute more than 40% of scooter fleets (at most 1,000) to downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods
Such areas include:
- North Loop
- DT East/West
- Elliot Park
- Loring Park
Other areas in Minneapolis
The remaining 30% can be distributed according to companies approved application.
Contact scooter rental companies
Our scooter company vendors are in transition for 2022. Check back for updates.
350 Fifth St. S.Room 203
Minneapolis, MN 55415
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday
The office is not open to the public at this time.