Challenges and appeals

You can appeal a City decision about data.

Request help from the Data Practices Compliance Official

The Data Practices Compliance Official is a position appointed by City Council. The official is the designated employee to whom persons may direct questions or concerns regarding problems in obtaining access to data or other data practices problems. 

For help with questions about data, contact us.

Challenging the accuracy or completeness of data

Individuals have the right to challenge the accuracy or completeness of data of which they are the subject. An individual must notify the Responsible Authority in writing, describing the nature of the disagreement.  The Responsible Authority then has 30 days to do one of the following:

  • Correct data found to be inaccurate or incomplete and attempt to notify past recipients of inaccurate or incomplete data, including recipients named by the individual.
  • Notify the individual that the Authority believes the data to be correct.

Request an opinion from the Commissioner of Administration

The Commissioner of Administration has the authority to issue advisory opinions on the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (MGDPA) and the Minnesota Open Meeting Law (OML). These opinions may be requested:

  • By a city, when the Responsible Authority is unsure how to classify data or respond to a data request.
  • By a person, when that individual disagrees with a data practices determination.

Take further action

You may file a complaint with the State Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH)


Compel compliance

Any aggrieved person seeking to enforce their rights or obtain access to data may bring an action in district court to compel compliance with the MGDPA.

Contact us

Responsible Authority

Casey Joe Carl, City Clerk
Christian Rummelhoff, Assistant City Clerk (Primary designee)



Mailing address

City Hall
350 S. Fifth St., Room 304
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Temporary office location

250 S. Fourth St., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55415