The steps in the court process are:
- Arraignment — the defendant's first court appearance
- If the defendant is in custody, the court may set bail or grant release with certain conditions.
- The defendant may enter a plea or ask for additional time to get an attorney.
- Pretrial — a preliminary hearing
- The defendant, judge, prosecutor and defense attorney may attempt to resolve the case and avoid a trial.
- Trial —The attorneys present evidence to the judge.
- Victims and witnesses may be called to testify.
- A victim/witness specialist might contact you to:
- Get more details about the incident
- Find out if you want to seek restitution
If there is a trial
- You will likely receive a subpoena requiring you to appear to provide evidence.
Learn how our victim/witness specialists can help you