Organics recycling signup
Homeowners and renters with City garbage service
You have City collection service if:
- Your garbage carts are gray
- They are labeled “Property of City of Minneapolis”
If you have City service, there's two ways you can sign up for organics recycling:
We'll deliver an organics recycling cart after you sign up. You'll also receive a welcome kit in the mail.
The welcome kit includes:
- Organics home setup guide
- Refrigerator magnet
- Starter set of compostable bags
New renters in buildings with City pickup service that already have a green organics recycling cart can contact our office to request a welcome kit.
Using your cart
Organics must be in a BPI certified compostable plastic bag or paper grocery bag. Your green cart will be emptied weekly on your garbage day.
Requesting an extra cart
Your organics should fit in your organics recycling cart. If your cart is often full, contact our office to request a larger cart or get another cart. If you occasionally have extra organics, you can bring them to an organics drop-off site.
Renters without City service
Larger apartment buildings usually do not have City service.
If your building has a dumpster, you have a private hauler, and their name should be on the dumpster. You have two options for organics recycling:
- Sign up to bring your household organics to an organics drop-off site. There is no cost to use an organics drop-off site.
- Work with your property manager to have organics recycling added at your building.
- All businesses are required to have recycling service.
- Hennepin County requires certain businesses to also have a food scrap diversion program, such as organics recycling.