The best way to stop a fire is to learn how to prevent it.
Fire safety and prevention at home
Avoid these actions whenever possible.
Do not smoke when you’re sleepy or in bed
- If you do smoke, make sure to put out your cigarette or other tobacco product completely.
Do not leave burning candles unattended
- Place burning candles on a nonflammable surface, such as metal or glass.
- Keep burning candles away from flammable items, such as curtains, furniture and clothing.
Do not put items near your space heater
- Keep objects at least three feet away in all directions from a space heater.
- Never connect your heater to spliced, do-it-yourself or damaged wiring.
Community Risk Reduction Officer
Minneapolis Fire Department
350 Fifth St. S., Room 233
Minneapolis, MN 55415
7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday