If water looks red, brown or yellow
It's probably caused by
- Hydrant flushing or firefighting activity
- These activities increase water flow and disturbs mineral deposits in iron pipes
The water is safe to drink
You should not
- Use hot water because sediment will collect in the hot water tank.
- Do laundry because the iron can stain clothing.
Water should clear in a few hours
- Check it hourly by running the cold water tap located in the lowest point in your home. Run it for two to three minutes each time.
- Once the water runs clear, flush the pipes in your home by running all cold water taps for a few minutes.
- If it doesn't clear in a few hours, call 311