City Council adopted the Government Structure Ordinance and Mayor Frey signed it on October 20, 2022. The new structure features four direct reports to the Mayor:
- City Operations Officer to lead the Office of Public Service
- Community Safety Commissioner to lead the Office of Community Safety
- City Attorney to function as the chief legal officer of the City and head of its legal department
- Chief of Staff to manage the Office of Mayor
The plan creates two new offices:
- The Office of Public Service joins all operational departments under the centralized leadership of the City Operations Officer.
- The Office of Community Safety integrates the work of all community safety departments and functions under the leadership of the Community Safety Commissioner.
For background on how he came to this proposal, see the recommendations of the Government Structure Work Group.
In November 2021, Minneapolis voters approved an amendment to the City Charter to adopt an Executive Mayor - Legislative Council form of government.