Evaluation checklist

We explain what evaluators look for during a Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) evaluation. You can also find a list of licensed evaluators.

Items covered in evaluation

  • Attic space and insulation
  • Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors
  • Ceiling height
  • Chimneys
  • Clutter
  • Columns and beams
  • Cornice and trim
  • Doors (frames, storms, screens and deadbolt locks)
  • Drainage (grade)
  • Egress
  • Electrical outlets and fixtures
  • Electrical service panel
  • Evidence of dampness or staining
  • Evidence of vermin
  • Exterior walls
  • Floor condition
  • Floor drains
  • Foundation
  • Garage (structure, doors and automatic opener)
  • Gas piping
  • Heating plant and auxiliary heating units
  • Plumbing fixtures
  • Porches and stoops
  • Roof structure and covering
  • Roof venting
  • Sanitation
  • Sleeping rooms (including basement)
  • Smoke detectors
  • Stairs
  • Walls
  • Waste and vent piping
  • Water flow
  • Water heater
  • Water piping
  • Windows (frames, storms and screens)

Items not covered

Evaluators look at these items, but issues do not require repair:

  • 30-amp or 60-amp electrical service, as long as it is not tampered with or overfused
  • Lack of basement (crawl spaces are allowed)
  • Basement plumbing fixtures that are not vented, such as basement showers
  • Chipped or peeling paint
  • Galvanized plumbing system, as long as it is functional
  • Holes in walls or ceilings
  • Lack of laundry facility or lack of basement floor drain
  • Missing storm or prime windows or doors
  • Missing window sashes
  • Plumbing "s" traps, except in basement
  • Roofs
  • Torn carpet or broken tile

Evaluators do not look at these items:

  • Non-essential systems such as wood stoves, fireplaces or air conditioners
  • Toxic substances such as asbestos, lead-based paint, formaldehyde or radon

Items that need a permit

These items generally require a permit to fix.

Heating system

  • Missing 9d check valve with atmospheric valve on boiler (backflow valve).
  • Missing or broken pressure (P) relief valve on a boiler: permit required to install/replace.
  • Improper furnace or boiler flue (vent). Only a licensed contractor can get a permit.
  • Note: Only licensed contractors can do gas or flue (vent) repair or replacement on heating plants.

Water heater

  • Missing or broken temperature and pressure (T&P) relief valve on water heater: permit required to install or replace.
  • Improper water heater flue (vent). Homeowner can get permit

Electrical system

  • Exposed wires, such as:
    • Open junction boxes that have the cover missing.
    • Wires that are uncapped, not taped and out of the box.
  • Installing a fixture requires a permit. No permit needed to tape or cap wires, put wires back into box and cover box.

Plumbing system

  • Tub or sink faucet below the spill line when installing dual inline check valves instead of replacing a faucet.

Gas lines

  • Uncapped gas line. If the line is just capped, no permit is needed.
  • Installing a gas appliance requires a permit. (Other features of new appliance also must be up to code. For example, installing a stove includes anti-tip, gas valve and gas line.) 
  • Improper gas lines. Homeowner can get permit if it is to dryer, stove and water heater. If to a heating plant, licensed contractor required.

Items that do not require a permit

You can often fix these items yourself, without a permit. If you're unsure, you may want to hire a professional.


  • Ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets when the test button won’t trip. They do not have to be grounded, if installed on an ungrounded system.
  • Missing grounding strap (jumper wire). If only one clamp is missing or if the wire is loose.


  • Missing clean out plug.
  • Toilet ballcock that is not anti-siphon.
  • Laundry and outside faucet (sillcocks) with threads need a backflow valve.
  • Open sewer line (broken or missing cover, for example).
  • Open waste vent (holes or broken).
  • Open drain (missing trap).
  • Leaking toilet (considered unsafe if the leak is bad enough to rot the floor).
  • Tub or sink faucet below the spill line when replacing the faucet does not require a permit. Installing inline check valves requires a permit.

Smoke detectors

  • Operable smoke detectors are required outside each separate sleeping area. They must be installed near bedrooms following manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Do not install within three feet of a kitchen or bathroom door. If installed within 20 feet of a kitchen stove, they they must have a silencing switch or be photoelectric type.
  • Detectors can be battery operated. If hardwired smoke detectors are already installed, they must remain hardwired.
  • Hardwired smoke detectors are required with some interior remodeling.
  • CO detectors must be installed within 10 feet of a sleeping room. They can be battery operated.

Repair and evaluator lists

Common repairs

You can download a list of commonly required repairs. The list includes illustrations.

See common repairs list

Licensed evaluators

Find people who are licensed to do Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) evaluations in Minneapolis.

See list of evaluators

Contact us

Minneapolis 311


7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

See list of City holidays

Minneapolis Truth in Housing (TISH)

Community Planning & Economic Development (CPED)






505 Fourth Ave. S., 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office hours

7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday – Friday