What to do
See below for times and conditions that certain noises are allowed. To report noise outside of these situations, contact 311.
For construction noise
- Construction or demolition noise is allowed 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- An after-hours work permit is required for any work on Saturday or Sunday.
- Homeowners do not need an after-hours work permit:
- Weekdays from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For garbage collection noise
- Garbage pickup noise is allowed 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. within 500 feet of a residence.
- Complaints about commercial garbage haulers should be made to Business Licenses & Consumer Services.
For amplified sound or loud music
- Outdoor amplified sound that can be heard above conversation from beyond 50 feet likely requires a sound permit at any time.
- Sound from motor vehicle sound systems or audio systems clearly audible from beyond 50 feet is illegal. To report loud motor vehicles:
For yard or snow maintenance noise
- Use of power lawnmowers, trimmers, saws, leaf blowers or similar tools is allowed from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Use of snowblowers and snowplows is allowed anytime during an official snow emergency or within 24 hours of a snowfall of 1 inch or more.
If you want to report neighborhood noise, please follow the recommendations above. Unless you’re comfortable doing so, do not approach neighbors with your noise complaints.