Licensing and permit services

We help process your applications and renewals. We also assist you in making payments.

Licenses and permits

Applications and payments 

  • Trade licenses
  • Vehicle related solicitor licenses
    • Includes ID badges
  • Liquor, wine, beer licenses

See Business Licensing

  • Body art licenses

See body art

  • Farmers market

See Fire Inspections

  • False alarms

See False alarm payments

  • Alcohol business license compliance citations

See alcohol and tobacco licenses

Business license renewals and payments

  • All City of Minneapolis business licenses

See a detailed list from Business Licensing

Rental license renewals and payments

See details about rental licensing


Construction permits and certificates

Book an appointment

Applications and payments

  • Elevator licenses and permits
  • Zoning plan review 
  • Certificate of occupancy
  • Competency cards
  • Construction code compliance
  • Reinspection fees

See details from Construction Code Services

Permits and Electronic Plan Submittal

  • Electronic Permit Submittal
  • Building, Plumbing, Mechanical permits
  • Online Permitting

See details from Development Review


Book an appointment

Permits and payments

  • Abrasive blasting
  • After hours work
  • Amplified sound
  • Pollution control annual registration (PCAR)
  • Storage tanks
  • Well construction and sealing

See details from Environmental Services

Public Works

Book an appointment

Applications and payments

  • Utility connections and meter set permits, including:
    • Water tap permit
    • Meter set permit
    • Sewer set permit
    • Utility permit
    • Excavation permit
  • Hydrant (yard or garden) and temporary meter permits
  • Vacation of a public right of way and encroachment permits
  • Code enforcement citations and special assessments

You can submit most Public Works permits online.

See Water, Sewer & Utility Permits

Not available in the Public Service Center

We do not provide obstruction permits.

Apply online for an obstruction permit

Solid Waste & Recycling services are not available at the Public Service Center. 

Contact Solid Waste & Recycling

Planning and Zoning

Book an appointment

Applications and payments

The Minneapolis Service Center staff will accept and process:

  • Food plan applications
  • Land use applications

All land use applications require a preliminary meeting with Community Planning & Economic Development staff.

See Planning and Zoning

Contact us

City of Minneapolis Service Center

Skyway level


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415


8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

See a list of City holidays