Animal event permits

You need a permit to host events involve hoofed or wild animals. Events include weddings, petting zoos and circuses.

Before you begin

There are three classes of animal event permits:

  • Private event (class A, $80 fee) – For hoofed or small animals at an event that is not open to the general public, like a wedding or birthday party
  • Public event (class B, $210 fee) – For hoofed or small animals, or vicious or wild animals being displayed for educational purposes, at an event that's open to the public, such as petting zoos, animal shows and community events
  • Exotic event (class C, $2,080 fee)  For traveling exhibitions of large or exotic wild animals

When you apply, you must:

  • Have proof of insurance, vaccinations and health certificates
  • Describe the event and related activities by completing the included questionnaire

If you fail to get a permit or don't follow permit requirements, you may be fined up to $2,000.


Contact us

Minneapolis Animal Care & Control






Animal Care & Control
212 17th Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411

Get directions

Shelter hours

Pet adoption: Monday through Friday between 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Thursday hours are extended until 7:00 p.m.

Closed on City holidays

See list of City holidays


No scheduled appointment times are needed for pet adoptions.
Other services: Use our appointment scheduler