Vulnerable adult abuse

You can report the abuse, financial harm or neglect of a vulnerable adult.

What to do

If the situation is urgent

Call 911 if a vulnerable adult:

  • Appears to be in imminent danger of injury, death or sexual abuse
  • Has injuries that may need medical attention
  • May not be safe returning or remaining at home or in their care facility
  • Tells you they have been sexually assaulted

When you call 911, the operator will ask you to describe the abuse and will send police to take a report.

If the situation is not urgent

Call Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) anytime. A social worker is available 24 hours a day to take reports.

Call MAARC at 844-880-1574 

When you call, MAARC will:

  • Record your call
  • Report the information to the appropriate agency and to local law enforcement
  • Review the report and take any action deemed necessary

The appropriate agency will:

  • Investigate
  • Issue a finding 

If you are a mandated reporter

Complete the MAARC Mandated Reporter Form

More information

Learn more about vulnerable adult abuse at Hennepin County Adult Protection 


Contact us

Minneapolis 311


7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

See list of City holidays