Cable service complaint

You can report an unresolved cable complaint to the City.

What to do

If you have an issue with Comcast or CenturyLink, please call them first.

If you cannot resolve your issue, submit a complaint or contact Media Services.

The City takes complaints only about basic cable or right-of-way issues.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Media Services