In working to reopen Nicollet Avenue at Lake Street, the City wants to hear from you, the people who live, work and play here. We want to hear about your priorities and desires for the site, so we can reflect that in the design of the new street and future redevelopment.
The City plans to construct Nicollet Avenue between Lake Street and Cecil Newman Lane. After constructing the road, the City will work in partnership to develop the remaining site into a walkable area with high-density, mixed use redevelopment. The City plans to demolish the former Kmart building in March 2024 and begin the road construction in 2025.
Tell us what you think
- Take the survey: Please take the survey and share it with your networks. You can find Spanish, English, and Somali versions of the survey on the project web page. The survey closes at 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 4.
- Join the community workshop: The workshop will be 5-7:30 p.m. July 25 at Sabathani Community Center, 310 E. 38th St.
So far we’ve learned that the community’s and the City’s goals for this site include:
- Reconnecting Nicollet Avenue between Cecil Newman Lane and Lake Street and improving access to the Midtown Greenway.
- Building for who currently lives here.
- Designing for people who live, work, shop and play here.
- Building safe, equitable and sustainable transportation networks.
- Designing for inclusivity, safety and sustainability.
Reach out to the New Nicollet development team with questions.