Man dies at hospital following officer-involved shooting incident

July 14, 2022

At about 4:30 a.m., six hours of attempted negotiations with a man who had isolated himself in an apartment resulted in an officer-involved shooting. That man was transported to the hospital, however, despite all life-saving measures, he died this morning. 

The following information regarding what led to an on-scene police response is based on preliminary information. This preliminary information is subject to clarification by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as the ongoing investigation into the incident continues

On Wednesday, July 13 at approximately 9:30 p.m., officers from the Minneapolis Police Department’s Third Precinct responded to a report of shots fired inside an apartment building in the 900 block of 21st Avenue South. A mother with two young children called to report that someone had shot into her apartment.  

As officers arrived on the building’s third floor, they heard additional shots. Officers saw debris exploding from walls as shots were fired. Officers called for backup and worked to rescue the mother and her children from the building in this active shooter situation. Officers also worked to move others to safety who were believed to be in danger. 

As those bystanders were brought to safety, officers were able to focus attention on a man who had isolated himself in a third-floor apartment.    

MPD Crisis Team Negotiators and MPD SWAT responded and attempted negotiations throughout the night and early morning hours. These attempts included identifying and calling the man’s cell phone as well as bringing the man’s parents to the scene to help. They tried communicating through phone calls, voice mails, and video messages. Officers also made numerous attempts through a public address system to instruct the man to exit the apartment with his hands raised.    

After approximately 6 hours of attempted negotiations, an officer-involved shooting occurred resulting in life-threatening injuries to the man. The man, believed to be in his 20s, was transported to Hennepin Healthcare where he later died.   

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office will work to identify the man, while also ruling on the cause and manner of his death. The Minnesota BCA will conduct an independent investigation into this officer-involved shooting.

This is the public information available for release at this time.

It is understood that people will want answers quickly to many questions. The MPD shares this desire while seeking answers that are provided after thorough and full investigations. We are asking for patience to allow for that full investigation to take place.