Certification process

We outline all the steps involved in getting your visa certified.
Step 1

Find out where to submit your request

There are three departments that certify visas.

Be sure to submit your request to the correct department.

If you submit your request to the wrong department, we will return it to you.

Find out where to submit your request 

Step 2

Complete your U or T visa certification supplement form

Get the proper U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Forms

If you want us to certify a U visa

Download Form I-918 - Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status

  • Complete fully
  • No law enforcement input required

Download Form I-918 Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification

  • Fill out the form as completely as possible
  • We will review and complete part 6

If you want us to certify a T visa

Download Form I-914,Supplement B, Declaration of Law Enforcement Officer for Victim of Trafficking in Persons

  • Complete part A
  • We will complete parts C, D, E and F

Learn more at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services


Step 3

Write us a letter

Your letter should include the following information.

  • A request for certification of your U or T visa application.
  • A description of how you helped, are helping or will help with a crime investigation.
Step 4

Mail us your letter and completed request form

Submit your request for certification to us by U.S. Mail. Be sure to include:

  • A copy of your letter (see Step 3)
  • A copy of your completed form (see Step 2)
  • A self-addressed, postage paid return envelope for any items you want returned

If you are in removal proceedings, contact us by phone or email

  • If you send an email, the subject line should read: (Your name) in removal proceedings. Please expedite. 
  • Include proof of removal proceedings, such as a copy of the notice to appear.  

Get our contact information

Step 5

Give us time to act on your request

When we receive your application, we will

  • Make sure you sent it to the right department.
    • If you sent it to the wrong department, we will return it to you with instructions on who to contact
  • Gather all related documentation and reach out to other City departments if necessary.
    • If we can't gather the necessary documentation, we may refer the application to another agency.
  • Act on your request within 30 business days.
    • Some cases may require more time.
    • If your are in removal proceeding, we will expedite the timeframe to seven days.
Step 6

Make a second request

If we decline your request, you can ask us to reconsider

You must provide:

  • Additional evidence, and 
  • A letter explaining why we should reconsider your request

We will act on your request to reconsider within 14 business days.

Contact us

James Novak

Special Crimes Investigations

Minneapolis Police Department

Office phone


Cell phone



Public Service Building
Attn: U and T Visa Certification
505 Fourth Ave. S., Suite 833
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Jennifer Saunders

City Attorney's Office




City Hall
Attn: U Visa Certification
350 Fifth St. S., Room 210
Minneapolis, MN 55415