Before you begin
All dogs, cats and ferrets over four months of age must have a license. To get a pet license:
- Your pet must be current on its rabies vaccinations.
- Any City fines must be paid.
You can buy pet licenses online unless:
- Your animal has been declared dangerous or potentially dangerous.
- You have more than four pets, in which case you need a multiple animal permit.
- You have outstanding fines or fees.
|Spayed or neutered||Not spayed or neutered|
|Dogs and cats||$30||$80|
|Dogs and cats - senior discount (for people 65 or older)||$15||$70|
|Dogs and cats - low-income discount (on assistance or income under $40,000 for a family of four)||$15||$70|
|Ferrets||$20||Does not apply|
|Dogs and cats (microchip required)||$85||Does not apply|
|Dogs and cats - senior discount (for people 65 or older)||$45||Does not apply|
You can also:
To get a reduced-cost pet license, you must apply in-person at the shelter. Bring proof that you have an income less than $40,000 a year or participate in a public assistance program.
AddressAnimal Care & Control
212 17th Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Currently by appointment only Monday through Friday. Please call to make an appointment.
7:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Monday – Friday
7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday
Closed on City holidays