Before you begin
All dogs, cats and ferrets over four months of age must have a license.
To get a pet license:
- Your pet must be current on its rabies vaccinations.
- Any City fines must be paid.
You can not buy pet licenses online when:
- Your animal has been declared dangerous or potentially dangerous.
- You have more than four pets, in which case you need a multiple animal permit.
- You have outstanding fines or fees.
To get a reduced-cost pet license, you must:
|License type||Spayed or neutered||Not spayed or neutered|
|Dogs and cats||$30||$80|
|Dogs and cats - senior discount (for people 65 or older)||$15||$70|
|Dogs and cats - low-income discount (on assistance or income under $40,000 for a family of four)||$15||$70|
|Ferrets||$20||Does not apply|
|Dogs and cats (microchip required)||$85||Does not apply|
|Dogs and cats - senior discount (for people 65 or older)||$45||Does not apply|
|Lifetime License||$250||Does not apply|
You can also:
- Request an application from:
- Visit our shelter and buy a pet license in person
Animal Care & Control
212 17th Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Call to make an appointment for vaccines, foster pick-up/drop off, or another reason not listed here. Note that starting March 13, vaccine and microchip appointments will be temporarily suspended.
Walk-in visits for adoption
Monday through Friday 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. and second Saturday of each month 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Closed on the following Mondays: March 6, April 3, May 8, and June 5.
Closed on City holidays
Field service hours
For non-emergency requests, please call 311 and an officer will respond in the order in which the call was received.
For emergency situations, please call 911.
7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday