Include on gateway pages
On gateway pages, we want to help users by telling them a little about the document, map, form or video available on the page.
- Add a Content with Gray Background content type directly above the content type that contains the document, map or video.
- Choose one of three headings for the Content with Gray Background content type. Options depending on content:
- How to use the map
- Before you begin
- What to do
- What to know
How to use the map
Use only on map pages.
Before you begin
Use to give user helpful information, such as:
- Details about the process (example: on bike registration page, informing user that multiple bikes have to be registered separately)
- If they'll have to provide info beyond the basics (name, email, address, phone). This could be account numbers, driver's license number, etc.
- An alert about an especially long (or tricky in some other way) document
Use wording that makes sense. For example, don't follow with "Enter your driver's license number and license plate number" – which is not something the user does before beginning. Try "Be prepared to enter your driver's license...." or "You'll need to provide your ...."
What to do
Use to provide instructions or explain the action a user should take. Examples:
- If a traffic light is broken, submit a report
- If you witness a traffic accident, call 911
- Download the application, fill it out and mail it to the address on the form
What to know
Use in place of the Before you begin header when you do not need to include much information about the document or other item on the page. Example:
- You can download our brief fact sheet about winter storms and extreme cold.