Unpermitted construction

You can report construction work that's being done without a permit.

Before you begin

  • Check to see if the work requires a permit.
  • Check to see if the site has a permit. Note that sites are no longer required to display permits.
  • You must provide an email address.
  • Be prepared to provide as much detail as possible, for example, "New toilets in the Women’s restroom on the 3rd floor near suite 110."
  • Have the name of the property owner, contractor or company, if known. Have the number on the company truck, if possible.
  • You may need to help an inspector access the building. Please provide your phone number or email so the inspector can contact you. Your name will be kept confidential.
  • Electrical permits are issued by the state. For complaints about electrical work, see electrical permits

Report unpermitted construction


If you want to report unpermitted construction, please follow the recommendations above. Do not approach people with complaints about their construction projects.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Minneapolis 311


7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

See list of City holidays