What to do
Call Minneapolis Sewer Operations right away
- If sewage is overflowing from a manhole
- If an unknown substance is flowing into a storm drain
- If you smell sewer odors or gases in the street
When you call, provide as much detail as possible. We'll send a crew out to investigate, find the cause and fix the problem.
- If you smell natural gas
- If you suspect a hazardous spill
- If you notice any other potentially explosive situation
Stay clear of the area and do not try to deal with a spill yourself. 911 will contact Minneapolis Sewer Operations directly.
- If water is gushing out of a storm drain. In heavy rain, a storm drain may fill up and water pressure or trapped air can blow the manhole or storm drain cover off. Stay clear of the area until we've fixed it.
- If grass clippings or leaves are blocking a sewer. We'll send a Minneapolis Sewer Operations crew to clear the storm drain.
- For other non-urgent issues.
To help keep our storm drains clean, join the Adopt-A-Drain program.