What to do
Call Minneapolis Sewer Operations
- If sewage is overflowing from a manhole
- If an unknown substance is flowing into a storm drain
- If you smell sewer odors or gases in the street
When you call, provide as much detail as possible.
We'll send a crew out to investigate.
- The crew will assess the situation at your property at no charge.
- If they determine the blockage causing the backup is in the City-owned sanitary sewer pipe, they'll fix the problem.
- If the blockage causing the backup is in your private sanitary lateral, you may need to contact a professional drain cleaning service.
- If you smell natural gas.
- If you suspect a hazardous spill.
- If you notice any other potentially explosive situation.
Stay clear of the area and do not try to deal with a spill yourself. 911 will contact Minneapolis Sewer Operations directly.
- If you have a sewer backup.
- If water is gushing out of a storm drain. In heavy rain, a storm drain may fill up and water pressure or trapped air can blow the manhole or storm drain cover off. Stay clear of the area until we've fixed it.
- If grass clippings or leaves are blocking a sewer. We'll send a Minneapolis Sewer Operations crew to clear the storm drain.
- For other non-urgent issues.
Causes of sanitary sewer backups
- Most backups occur when the sanitary lateral gets clogged with roots that have grown into a cracked or broken sanitary lateral.
- Backups may also be caused by:
- A sanitary sewer pipe being in poor condition
- Natural conditions, such as the ground moving
- Higher than normal amounts of rain
- Misuse of the sewer system in your home
After the cleanup of a sanitary sewer backup on your property
- Consider hiring a professional cleaning company to make sure no health hazards exist.
- The property owner can submit a claim for damages and other costs related to the back-up.
You can help keep our storm drains clean by joining the Adopt-a-Drain program.