2020 - 2022
LocationMany locations in South Minneapolis and Downtown Minneapolis Citywide
The project will improve existing bikeways on portions of:
- 1st Avenue South
- Blaisdell Avenue South
- 28th Street
Proposed enhancements include:
- A two-way bikeway with curb and bollard protection
- Crossing improvements for pedestrians
Develop project layout and seek input on bikeway design
Present design to City Council for approval
Construction between 15th St. and 32nd St.
- We will continue signing and striping work along this stretch into the 2022 construction season as weather permits.
- We will plant vegetated medians along this stretch in the 2022 construction season.
Construction will continue between 32nd St. and 40th St.
We plan to begin work on the Whittier/Lyndale bikeway the week of September 7, 2021, beginning on the north end.
We will close and detour blocks for short periods of time as necessary.
The City will be doing construction on 28th St. and Blaisdell Ave. As part of this construction, we will include concrete curbs and pedestrian medians.
On 1st Ave., we will install bollards and other quick-build methods. This way, we can add the improvements and get ready for the upcoming street reconstruction projects on 1st Ave. between Grant St. and Lake St. in 2024.
Learn more about those street reconstruction projects, which will provide further opportunities for more bikeway and street safety upgrades, on the 1st Ave S (Franklin to Lake) and 1st Ave S (Franklin to Grant) project pages.
Bikeway design schedule
The design for this bikeway has passed through several approvals.
Public Works made a variance request on this project.
- The Transportation & Public Works Committee approved the variance request on December 9, 2020.
- The full City Council approved the request on December 18, 2020.
- MnDOT approved the request on January 21, 2021.
View the approved variance request below:
Public Works submitted a design layout for this project.
- The Transportation & Public Works Committee approved the layout on January 6, 2021.
- The full City Council approved the layout on January 15, 2021.
- Public Works revised construction plans for another City project to align with approved layout. Public Works completed final construction plans in April 2021. The area that changed was Lake St. reconstruction at Blaisdell Ave., which is a part of the 35W reconstruction project.
View the approved layout below:
This project is in progress, beginning the week of September 7, 2021.