38th & Chicago Re-Envisioned
Open house 2
We continued the 'Community Visioning' phase with an open house.
- Saturday, October 22, 2022, 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- Phelps Recreation Center - Indoor gym, 701 E 39th St, Minneapolis
- See the PDF of the information shared at the meeting
Community co-creation team
Join the Community Co-creation team
The Community Co-creation Team (CCT), will consist of community stakeholders. The CCT and the Public Works project team will jointly reach a recommended final design concept for the intersection of 38th & Chicago.
- Applications due - August 26, 2022
- Members selected and first CCT meeting - October 20, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Sabathani Community Center - 310 E 38th St, Minneapolis
In the next few years, Public Works staff plan to reconstruct the intersection of 38th & Chicago. In 2022, we will begin a process to engage with the community. Through this process, we intend to redesign the area in a way that reflects community needs. This is a significant opportunity for us all to define the future of 38th & Chicago.
In 2020, George Perry Floyd Jr. was murdered at 38th & Chicago, forever changing the intersection and surrounding community. This area is known as George Floyd Square (GFS), and it has evolved beyond its original roadway design.
Project engagement goals
- Allow for racial healing
- Honor the voices of the Black Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) community
- Develop community relationships
- Work together with the community to make decisions about the project
- Lead an engagement process to work and learn together with the community
Project design goals
- Redesign the street to reflect community needs
- Include space within the public right-of-way (ROW) for community use
- Explore transit and pedestrian design options
- Maintain access for residents and businesses
- Include trees and native plants
Virtual Open House - April 26, 2022
- See the video recording of the first virtual open house, which occurred on April 26, 2022. The purpose of this meeting was to introduce the project and receive feedback on the draft design and engagement goals as well as answer questions from the public.
- Review the Virtual Open House PDF that was presented during the meeting.
- Read additional information regarding the project.
Sign up for project updates
Sign up to get alerts about this project. You'll need to provide your email address.
This project is currently gathering input.