George Floyd, a Black man, was killed by a Minneapolis police officer at 38th and Chicago on May 25, 2020.
Former officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of murder in Floyd’s death on April 20, 2021.
Floyd's murder led to:
- Protests throughout our city, across the country and world calling for fundamental changes in policing and racist systems.
- 38th and Chicago becoming a living memorial:
- Visitors have left flowers and artwork to honor George Floyd.
- Artists installed major works of public art in the surrounding neighborhood.
- 38th and Chicago becoming a sacred space for racial: