Issued pursuant to City Charter, Section 17.1
I, Jacob Frey, Mayor of the City of Minneapolis, subject to the executive and administrative authority granted to me pursuant to Minneapolis City Charter, do hereby issue the following Executive Order:
Duties and Responsibilities of Community Safety Commissioner
Whereas, on August 4, 2022, the City Council consented to my appointment of Dr. Cedric Alexander to the appointed position of Commissioner of the Office of Community Safety, and such consent became final with publication of that act on August 6, 2022; and
Whereas, on August 8, 2022, Dr. Alexander commenced his service as Commissioner of Community Safety; and
Whereas, the ordinance establishing the Office of Community Safety is proceeding through the process of consideration by the City Council and has not yet been completed; and
Whereas, there is need to begin work to provide a comprehensive and collaborative community safety approach for the City and its residents pending the approval of the ordinance establishing the Office of Community Safety;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jacob Frey, Mayor of the City of Minneapolis, do hereby order the following:
- The Commissioner shall lead the strategic planning necessary for the development of the City’s comprehensive approach to community safety.
- Commissioner Alexander shall work with City policymakers and other stakeholders in the design and organization of the Office of Community Safety. The Commissioner shall supervise, subject to the Mayor’s oversight, all activities related to the City’s community safety departments, including Police, Fire, 911 (Emergency Communications Center), Emergency Management, and Office of Violence Prevention (Neighborhood Safety).
- The Commissioner shall:
- work to ensure appropriate resources are dedicated to community safety efforts;
- respond to and engage with the community in community safety matters;
- identify community safety needs and trends;
- develop strategies, programs, and resources to meet community safety needs;
- coordinate and collaborate with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies;
- direct all community safety departments, subject to the Mayor’s oversight; and,
- perform other such duties as assigned by the Mayor.
August 8, 2022