Election officials will begin tabulating results data from yesterday’s elections at 9 a.m. today.
Results from the totals of all first-ranked choices in every race are now posted to the Elections & Voter Services website. Unofficial winners were declared in nine races, accounting for approximately 41% of all races on the ballot. The remaining races are going through a series of rounds to complete the computation of results. The tabulation process is not public.
Unofficial winners declared
Based on the results data from Hennepin County, Elections & Voter Services declared unofficial winners last night in the following races:
- Council Member Ward 4, LaTrisha Vetaw
- Council Member Ward 6, Jamal Osman
- Council Member Ward 7, Lisa Goodman
- Council Member Ward 8, Andrea Jenkins
- Council Member Ward 9, Jason Chavez
- Council Member Ward 11, Emily Koski
- Council Member Ward 12, Andrew Johnson
- Council Member Ward 13, Linea Palmisano
- Park and Recreation Commissioner District 1, Billy Menz
Tabulation in remaining races
Because no candidate in the remaining races reached the required threshold of votes to be declared a winner based solely on first-ranked choices, additional rounds will be tabulated in those races, beginning with the mayor’s race. Ranked-choice voting processes ballots through a series of rounds which eliminates the lowest ranked candidate (or candidates). Those ballots are redistributed to the next-ranked candidate. Races will be tabulated one at a time, in the order in which the offices are listed on the ballot. A random order was drawn to handle City Council wards and Park and Recreation Board districts. Below is the order in which the remaining races will be tabulated:
- City Council (wards in this order: 2, 5, 10, 1, 3)
- Board of Estimate and Taxation
- Park and Recreation Board at-large
- Park and Recreation Board (districts in this order: 4, 5, 3, 6, 2)
As each round of counting in each race is completed, those results will be posted in several places:
- On the City’s elections website at vote.minneapolismn.gov.
- Minneapolis Elections and Voter Services Twitter: www.twitter.com/votempls.
Although it is not possible to know exactly how long the tabulation will take for the races that do not have winners, elections officials plan to complete tabulation and declare an unofficial winner in the mayor’s race as soon as possible.