Hennepin Ave. S. reconstruction
The City will reconstruct Hennepin Ave. between W. Lake St. and Douglas Ave. We designed the layout to meet current and future needs.
Planning and design
Public Works is recommending a design for Hennepin Ave that best meets the city's Transportation Action Plan and aligns with the Vision Zero Action Plan, the Complete Streets policy, and the Climate Action Plan. The recommended design includes:
- Pedestrian facilities that improve safety and comfort for people walking
- A two-way protected bikeway between Lake Street and Franklin Avenue to improve safety and access for people biking
- Dedicated transit lanes for more efficient and reliable transit service
- Two vehicle lanes, with left turn lanes at key intersections, to maintain mobility for people in cars
- Parking/loading bays where feasible
At this time, City staff are planning to advance the recommended design to City Council for approval in late Quarter 1 or early Quarter 2 of 2022.
- Improve the sidewalk and intersections for all users
- Evaluate a protected bikeway on Hennepin Ave. S.
- Create space for improved transit stops that work with the future METRO E Line Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
- Replace aging traffic signal and stormwater infrastructure
- Maintain and improve mobility for transit and motor vehicles
- Meet the City's transportation and climate change goals
We did preplanning work in 2018 to apply for federal funding through the Metropolitan Council’s Regional Solicitation. Our ongoing planning work will include:
- Conducting technical work
- Collecting community feedback
- Reviewing policy guidance including the Transportation Action Plan, Complete Streets Policy and Vision Zero
View the recommended design and provide comments.
- View a summary of the recommended design
- View the recommended design cross sections
- View the recommended design layout
- View the frequently asked questions
Provide comments using the form below.
The form is open for comments through January 28, 2022.
Upcoming virtual open house
Public Works staff will host a virtual open house to share the recommended design for Hennepin Ave. S. and answer questions.
A pre-recorded presentation of the recommended design is now available.
The virtual open house will be held on Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Join the live meeting using the link below.
A summary of the questions/answers from the live meeting will be posted here after the meeting.
Help with Microsoft Teams
Anyone can join a Microsoft Teams web meeting. A free software download may be required. The type of download may vary based on how you join the meeting (computer, android device, apple device).
Public Meeting #3 - Virtual Open House
We held virtual public meetings on March 2 and March 4, 2021 to discuss the project.
- View the virtual open house 3 presentation
- View questions and answers from the live meeting
- View a summary of the design options
We asked for your feedback on the following design layouts:
The comment period closed on April 16, 2021.
Public Meeting #2 – Virtual Open House
We held virtual public meetings on September 22 and September 30, 2020.
Public Meeting #1 – Open House
We held an open house at Jefferson Community School on April 11, 2018.
Bus lane pilot
The project is currently in the input phase. Based on feedback, we have delayed street construction by one year. Construction is now planned to begin in 2024. The planning and design timeline will continue as planned, with layout approval in early 2022. View project schedule.
Sign up for project updates
Sign up to get alerts about this project. You'll need to provide your email address.