Hennepin Ave. S. reconstruction
2018 - 2025
LocationHennepin Ave. S. between Lake St. W. and Douglas Ave. East Isles Lowry Hill Lowry Hill East
The City will reconstruct Hennepin Ave. between W. Lake St. and Douglas Ave.
- Improve the sidewalk and intersections for all users.
- Consider a protected bikeway on Hennepin Ave. S.
- Create space for improved transit stops that work with the future METRO E Line Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
- Replace aging traffic signal and stormwater infrastructure.
- Maintain and improve mobility for transit and motor vehicles.
- Meet the City's transportation and climate change goals.
Public Works staff have developed a new street design for Hennepin Ave. S.
This new street design will meet current and future needs and aligns with City policies:
Public Meeting # 4 – Virtual Open House
We held a virtual public meeting on January 13, 2022 to share the recommended design for Hennepin Ave. S. and answer questions.
- Watch the virtual open house pre-recorded presentation
- Q&A from the public meeting
- Engagement Summary January 2022
The City accepted public comments on the recommended design through January 2022. Public Works received over 4,000 comments during the final round of engagement. To date, the City has received more than 10,000 comments on this project. Comment themes were consistent throughout all rounds of engagement. One of the most prevalent comments were in regards to the need for more on-street parking and loading.
After consideration of public feedback, Public Works proposed dynamic transit priority lanes. The goal will be to transition these transit priority lanes to full time in the future. This operational change will provide dedicated transit priority lanes when needed most. It will also provide more parking opportunities to support businesses. The City will monitor and evaluate the operations of the corridor in partnership with Metro Transit and businesses. The City will make adjustments as needed over time.
Public Meeting #3 - Virtual Open House
We held virtual public meetings on March 2 and March 4, 2021 to discuss the project.
- View the virtual open house 3 presentation
- View questions and answers from the live meeting
- View a summary of the design options
We asked for your feedback on the following design layouts:
The comment period closed on April 16, 2021.
View a summary of the feedback we received on the two design options
Public Meeting #2 – Virtual Open House
We held virtual public meetings on September 22 and September 30, 2020.
View documents from Public Meeting #2
Public Meeting #1 – Open House
We held an open house at Jefferson Community School on April 11, 2018.
Bus lane pilot
The project is currently in the design phase.
Sign up for project updates
Sign up to get alerts about this project. You'll need to provide your email address.
Hennepin Ave. S. Project Team
Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 410
Minneapolis, MN 55415