Hennepin Ave. S. reconstruction
The City will reconstruct Hennepin Ave. between W. Lake St. and Douglas Ave.
Construction will be phased over 2-years. Phase 1 will be from Lake St W to 26th St occurring in 2024. Phase 2 will be from 26th St to Douglas Ave occurring in 2025.
- Utility work will continue on Phase 1 from Lake St to 26th St.
- The work consists of installing new gas mains and service connections.
- Utility work involves use of heavy equipment that will increase noise, vibration, and dust in work areas.
- Traffic lanes will be reduced to 1-lane in each direction during non-rush hours. These restrictions will vary by block depending on construction activity.
- Cross street lane restrictions will reduce travel lanes to 1-lane at times.
- Parking lanes will be closed at certain locations during the construction.
- Business access will remain open during the construction activities.
- Pedestrian detours around work areas will be set up as needed to enable construction. Greater impacts can be expected at intersections where work is occurring.
- Metro Transit bus stop closures will occur depending on location of activity. Service on the corridor will remain until Spring 2024.
View latest construction update
Preview the specific location for this project on our interactive map.
Public meeting #6 - Construction stakeholder meeting
We held a virtual public meeting on October 19, 2023 to provide construction updates, discuss construction impacts, and answer questions and concerns.
Public meeting #5 - Pre-construction informational meeting
We held a virtual public meeting on August 15, 2023 to share an overview of the construction schedule, discuss construction impacts, and answer questions and concerns.
Public meeting # 4 – Virtual open house
We held a virtual public meeting on January 13, 2022 to share the recommended design for Hennepin Ave. S. and answer questions.
- Watch the virtual open house pre-recorded presentation
- Q&A from the public meeting
- Engagement Summary January 2022
The City accepted public comments on the recommended design through January 2022. Public Works received over 4,000 comments during the final round of engagement. To date, the City has received more than 10,000 comments on this project. Comment themes were consistent throughout all rounds of engagement. One of the most prevalent comments were in regards to the need for more on-street parking and loading.
After consideration of public feedback, Public Works proposed dynamic transit priority lanes. The goal will be to transition these transit priority lanes to full time in the future. This operational change will provide dedicated transit priority lanes when needed most. It will also provide more parking opportunities to support businesses. The City will monitor and evaluate the operations of the corridor in partnership with Metro Transit and businesses. The City will make adjustments as needed over time.
Public meeting #3 - Virtual open house
We held virtual public meetings on March 2 and March 4, 2021 to discuss the project.
- View the virtual open house 3 presentation
- View questions and answers from the live meeting
- View a summary of the design options
We asked for your feedback on the following design layouts:
The comment period closed on April 16, 2021.
Public meeting #2 – Virtual open house
We held virtual public meetings on September 22 and September 30, 2020.
Public meeting #1 – Open house
We held an open house at Jefferson Community School on April 11, 2018.
Project update - November 13, 2023
The project is currently in the in progress phase.
Sign up for project updates
Sign up to get alerts about this project. You'll need to provide your email address.