Fourth St. N and S reconstruction
Construction began April 2021
LocationFourth St. between Second Ave. N. and Fourth Ave. S. Downtown West
We will reconstruct 4th St. between 2nd Ave. N and 4th Ave. S. from building front to building front. Utility work and roadway construction has begun. It should be complete by the end of 2022.
The purpose of the project is to:
- Replace the aging street infrastructure
- Improve safety, access, and comfort for people walking
- Create a bicycle connection for all ages and abilities
- Collect and treat stormwater runoff using green infrastructure
- Enhance the area with street trees and plantings
- Create a more intuitive street by removing and relocating the contraflow bus lane
The new street will include:
- Three eastbound travel lanes between 2nd Ave. N and 2nd Ave. S.
- Two eastbound travel lanes between 2nd Ave. S. and 4th Ave. S.
- New trees and planters throughout the corridor
- Wider sidewalks and improved crosswalks including curb extensions at all intersections
- A new two-way bike trail on the north side of the street, separated from traffic
- New traffic signals, lighting, and crosswalk timers throughout the corridor
Expect the following temporary traffic impacts:
- Lane restrictions
- Intersection reductions
- Parking restrictions
- Revised pedestrian and bicycle routes
Residents, businesses and visitors may experience:
- Dust in work areas
Weekly stakeholder meeting
Join us at the 4th St. weekly update meeting to get an overview of the upcoming construction work. We will hold the meetings using Microsoft Teams.
via Microsoft Teams
Help with Microsoft Teams
Anyone can join a Microsoft Teams web meeting. A free software download may be required. The type of download may vary based on how you join the meeting (computer, android device, apple device).
This project is currently in progress.
Hennepin Downtown Reconstruction
Sign up for project updates
Sign up to get alerts about this project. You'll need to provide your email address.