2nd St. resurfacing and corridor improvements
Installation in 2023
Location2nd Street S. from 2nd Avenue S. to 13th Avenue S. in downtown Minneapolis Downtown East Downtown West
We're planning a street maintenance project to repair the pavement on 2nd Street S., from 2nd Avenue S. to 13th Avenue S. We'll begin construction in Summer of 2023. This maintenance intends to extend the life of the street.
As part of this work, we're considering changes to improve safety for all people, with a focus on:
- Encouraging safer travel speeds
- Improving safety for people walking
- Upgrading the street corners to include accessible curb ramps
- Creating an all ages and abilities bicycle route
We'll replace the top layer of pavement as part of an ongoing maintenance program. This will extend the life of the street between larger reconstructions projects. The new pavement should last at least 10 years.
We'll also look at changes to the existing street configuration to improve safety.
- Installing an accessible curb ramp at corners where there is need
- Narrowing the street to better manage vehicle speeds by creating a two-way bikeway on one side of the street
- Making it safer to walk across the street with concrete medians at priority locations
- Make it safer to walk along and across the corridor
- Create an all ages and abilities bicycle facility
- Keep traffic moving at an acceptable level
- Allow access for residents and visitors
2nd Street South Resurfacing Project, Informational Meeting
- Date/time: Wednesday, April 12th, at 6:30 p.m.
- Location: Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot. 225 3rd Ave S, Minneapolis MN 55401
Construction is planned to begin in summer 2023. We will maintain access for residents and visitors.
We welcome community feedback and input. To-date we have done two rounds of community engagement to:
- Identify priorities.
- Review potential improvement options
- Develop a design concept for the project
See the community engagement report
This report is a summary of the completed community engagement activities.
Please send us your questions and comments at any time.
Open house - March 21, 2023
On March 21, an open house was held to present the recommended design for the project.
January 2022 – January 2023
Community engagement phase 1 and concept design (Spring 2022)
Community engagement phase 2 and concept design (Fall 2022/winder 2023)
February – March 2023
February – March 2023
Build the project (tentative)
This project is in the input phase.
Senior Project Planner (contractor)