Fire permits dashboard
You can view the fire permit and licenses data for a property in Minneapolis.
Request accessible format
If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.
Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
How to use the dashboard
View the data
For best results:
- View the dashboard in full screen.
- Use Chrome or Firefox as your browser.
Read the data
The dashboard is contains an introduction page and two search pages.
This page explains:
- The type of fire permits included in the data.
- The type of hazardous material permits included in the data.
- The type of commercial building registrations included in the data.
- Select a value from the search drop-down. Scroll to the bottom of the list, click Apply.
Note: If there is no data for the drop-down value, the table will remain empty.
- View the information in each part of the page:
- Fire permits issued.
- HazMat permits issued.
- Commercial building registrations.
If you found records for a property, you may export them to your device.
Use the Download to Excel button to start the process. Then:
- Select the table you wish to download (allows only one table at a time.)
- Select the file format: either Excel or CSV.
Excel: Select if you want an excel workbook copy with some rows combined as they appear in the dashboard.
CSV: Select if you want an excel spreadsheet copy with common data fields repeated on each row.
The dashboard will display all digitized historical records for any property within the City of Minneapolis. If you believe a record is incorrect or incomplete, please contact Fire Permits & Registrations in Regulatory Services.
Get information about the permit types included in the dashboard
Know the types of permits included in the dashboard
- Alternative Suppression Systems
- Permits for fire control systems other than water/sprinkler
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Fire Services
- Permits for special events and construction operations that may pose a fire hazard
- Kitchen Exhaust Cleaning
- Smoke Control Systems
- Sprinkler Systems
- Storage Tanks
- Permits related to storage tanks containing gasoline or other flammable materials. Note: the Health Department issues permits for tank removal and abandonment.
Hazardous materials permits
Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 174.20 requires every building or structure, facility that stores, uses, or handles hazardous materials in quantities that exceed the allowable amounts in the Minnesota State Fire Code (MSFC) to have an annual renewable permit for the storage, use, and handling of hazardous materials.
Commercial building registrations
Often referred to as “FCOM” or Fire Commercial, this registration covers the cost of the city-wide fire inspections program. A commercial building is defined in ordinance as any building subject to the requirements of the state building and fire codes approved for an occupancy use other than residential. In buildings with mixed occupancy types, the commercial building registration applies to the non-residential portion of the building.
Fire Permits & Registrations
Fire Inspections Services
Public Service Building
505 4th Ave. S., Room 510A
Minneapolis, MN 55415