Inspector Bill Peterson commands the the Minneapolis Police Department's (MPD's) 1st Precinct. The 1st Precinct serves downtown Minneapolis and is headquarters to:
- Patrol Officers
- Precinct Investigations
- Community Response Team
- Community Crime Prevention / SAFE Teams
- Mounted Patrol and Arson Units that provide citywide services
Inspector Peterson has served the citizens of Minneapolis since 1995. His career highlights include:
- As an officer, he worked in the 3rd Precinct and the STOP Patrol Unit. He also was a member of the MPD’s SWAT Unit for 10 years.
- He was promoted to the rank of Sergeant in 2007 and served as an investigator in the Robbery Unit.
- He was a street supervisor in the 4th Precinct and a supervisor in the Special Operations Division.
- In 2015, Peterson was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. He led Pre-Service Training and oversaw the Academy.
- He transferred to the 1st Precinct and served as the day watch shift Lieutenant.
Inspector Peterson has an Associate of Arts Degree in Criminal Justice from Northland Community College. He earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Police Science from St. Mary’s University.
Read about the 1st Precinct