Midtown Greenway resurfacing
We are resurfacing 2.6 miles of the Midtown Greenway between Burnham Trail and 5th Ave. S.
As part of resurfacing projects, we replace the top layer of asphalt. This will extend the life of the trail and improve the surface quality for bikers and pedestrians. We will also assess what other minor safety improvements can be made to the trail.
About the Midtown Greenway
The Midtown Greenway is the City's busiest bike trail. This segment of the Midtown Greenway:
- directly serves the Phillips West, Whittier, Lowry Hill East, East Isles, Cedar-Isles-Dean, and Calhoun West neighborhoods
- passes through largely residential areas with some mixed-use areas
- directly serves a community that is above the regional average for population in poverty or population of color
The goals of this project include:
- Improve safety for all users
- Improve ride quality
- Invest in and benefit the surrounding community
We are partnering with Hennepin County Regional Railroad Authority on this project. HCCRA owns the land within the Midtown Greenway corridor.
There was one bicycle crash reported along the corridor within the five years of available data (2011-2015). There were no pedestrian or auto-only crashes along the corridor in the same period.
The low crashes are likely due to the majority of the corridor being grade separated, with the exception of 4 low volume streets.
There will be some trail closures. See the planned closures below.
Phase 1 trail closure (completed)
- Wednesday, August 25 through Monday, August 30, 2021
- Midtown Greenway resurfacing detour map - Phase 1
Phase 2 trail closure (completed)
- Tuesday, August 31 through Tuesday, September 7, 2021
- Midtown Greenway resurfacing detour map - Phase 2
Phase 3 trail closure (completed)
- Tuesday, September 7, through Friday, September 10, 2021
- Midtown Greenway resurfacing detour map - Phase 3
Crack sealing under traffic (completed)
- September 21, 2021
Phase 4: Full closure of Phases 1, 2, and 3
- Thursday, October 7 and Friday, October 8, 2021
- Midtown Greenway resurfacing detour map - Phase 4
Restriping under traffic (Greenway open)
- Week of November 1, 2021
This project is in progress. Resurfacing on the project is complete; striping is still underway, and some punch list items will be completed in the spring.
Sign up for project updates
Sign up to get alerts about this project. You'll need to provide your email address.