53rd Ave. N. resurfacing and bikeway
53rd Ave. N. is a shared border street between the City of Minneapolis and the City of Brooklyn Center. We're coordinating work with the City of Brooklyn Center over the next two years. We'll finish the work in 2022.
This project is part of an ongoing street maintenance program where we replace the top layer of asphalt pavement. This extends the life of a street between larger reconstructions. The new pavement should last about 10 years.
We identified this segment of 53rd Ave. N. for a new bikeway based on the All Ages and Abilities Network. This project provides an opportunity to add the new bikeway.
- Public outreach for the bikeway installation and street improvements
- Public Hearing for assessments and Minneapolis tax levy in 2023
- CenterPoint Energy gas main and service upgrades
- Installation of ADA Ped Ramps on both sides of 53rd Ave. N.
- Select curb and gutter improvements
- Sanitary sewer repairs in both cities
- Water main lining for Brooklyn Center
- Brooklyn Center creating design plans for a bidding document
- Cities creating a Joint Powers Agreement for Brooklyn Center to contract the road improvement work; Minneapolis will reimburse Brooklyn Center for the costs associated with the Minneapolis portion of the work.
- Adding signs, striping, and images for the bikeway improvements
The road will be closed and detoured to through traffic during asphalt milling and paving in 2022.
This project is in the design phase.