2nd St. and 3rd Ave. NE pedestrian improvements
LocationIntersection of 2nd St. and 3rd Ave. NE. St. Anthony West
In 2021, the City made permanent safety improvements to the intersection of 2nd St. NE. and 3rd Ave. NE.
We added medians on 2nd St. In 2017, we tested the new medians by adding temporary bollards and yellow striping to 2nd St.
These medians help improve safety for pedestrians and bicyclists by:
- Narrowing vehicle travel lane widths
- Reduce vehicle travel speeds
- Preventing vehicles from illegally passing buses while passengers board and off-board (alight)
- Preventing vehicles from illegally passing turning vehicles
- Providing a visual cue that care should be taken on approach and within the intersection
- Providing a pedestrian refuge area within the crosswalk
Our goal was to improve safety at the intersection.
- Reduce vehicular travel speeds
- Increase safety for all users
- Build ADA compliant curb ramps
- Implement green infrastructure
The intersection of 2nd St. NE. and 3rd Ave. NE. was closed to traffic during construction and detoured to nearby streets. The bus was also detoured.
Late summer - Fall 2020: Staff will collect data and ask for community input
Fall - Early Winter 2020: Staff will provide a design recommendation
August 2021: Project construction
October 2021: Imaging and painting by contractors
This project is complete. We began work the week of August 9 and completed it on October 15, 2021.