Vision Zero Action Plan
Highlights from the plan
The Minneapolis City Council adopted a Vision Zero goal to eliminate traffic deaths and severe injuries on City streets by 2027. The Vision Zero Action Plan outlines key steps in the next three years to make progress toward that goal.
- Community stakeholders
- Partner agencies
- The public
The four systems
The Vision Zero Action Plan includes strategies and actions that address four systems
- Safe streets - Using street design, infrastructure, and operations to improve traffic safety.
- Safe people - Supporting and encouraging safe human behavior.
- Safe vehicles - Regulating and maintaining safe vehicle fleets.
- Safety data - Supporting a data-driven approach to Vision Zero. Ensuring accountability for progress towards goals.
Addressing these systems will help reduce traffic deaths and severe injuries.
The Vision Zero Action Plan includes 16 strategies and 72 actions to be implemented between 2020 and 2022.
Read more about Vision Zero strategy and actions
Vision Zero is data-driven. Regular reporting and evaluation is key to our approach. It also keeps us accountable on our commitment to end traffic deaths and severe injuries.
Vision Zero reports
- We'll provide an annual (yearly) Vision Zero report.
- We'll provide a progress report every six months.
- We'll report some metrics annually and report others every two or three years. We release reports based on the resources we need to report on it.
Action Plan project timeline
2017 - 2018
This plan is built on data. The City completed crash studies to understand trends to inform our Vision Zero work. We also asked people for their best idea for making our streets safer and received nearly 400 responses. Read the studies
Late 2019 (Adopting the plan)
After receiving more than 400 comments on our draft plan, we amended the draft and presented the plan to City Council for approval. We're now working to put the plan into action!
Incorporating Vision Zero into Minneapolis' future
The Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan shapes how the city will grow and change over the next two decades. It provides high-level policy and vision for 11 topics, including transportation. Vision Zero is one of the policies in the transportation section. The Vision Zero guiding principles relate directly to many goals in Minneapolis 2040. Some of these include “Healthy, safe, and connected people” and “Complete neighborhoods.” Vision Zero's action items will align with Minneapolis 2040.
We recently updated our ten-year Transportation Action Plan.
The Transportation Action Plan guides
- Future planning
- Transportation project construction
Safety is one of the six key goals for the Transportation Action Plan, and the plan includes Vision Zero.