Provide informed options for how the City's Administration, under the Mayor's leadership, can support and respond to the City Council with respect to its official legislative, policy-making and oversight functions.
The Executive Mayor-Legislative Council structure establishes a balanced form of government.
- The mayor is responsible for the executive and strategic leadership of the city and the successful operation of the City enterprise.
- The council is responsible for:
- Defining the legislative functions of City government.
- Representing the constituents in their respective wards.
- Approving and authorizing critical funding actions (the annual operating and capital budgets, authorizing debt, setting the tax levy).
- Providing oversight of financial and performance audits.
We recommend Mayor Frey establish standard procedures within City departments to:
- Enable the city council to perform its duties and responsibilities.
- Encourage collaboration among the elected leadership of the city.
As stated in the city charter, the mayor will provide the required financial resources and city department information and expertise to support council members in fulfilling their duties and responsibilities. To realize the full potential of the City of Minneapolis, it is critical that the mayor and city council sustain a collaborative and productive working relationship.
To encourage a constructive dynamic between the two bodies, we recommend Mayor Frey appoint a City Council Liaison who resides in the Mayor's Office (reporting to the Mayor’s Chief of Staff). The City Council Liaison’s role is to:
- Provide clear, ongoing communications with council members and their staff.
- Serve as a resource to ensure the mayor is knowledgeable about City council issues, concerns, and opportunities.
Additionally, we recommend Mayor Frey consider negotiating agreed upon ways of working with the city council to ensure the right level of engagement and mutual accountability.
In addition to the working relations with the city council, we believe it is important to present options for how the existing city attorney and city coordinator roles might evolve in the new Executive Mayor - Legislative Council Government Structure.
Read the full report