We hold public auctions on the first Thursday of each month at the Impound Lot.
- 8 a.m. – Registration begins
- 9 a.m. – Inspection begins
- 10:30 a.m. – Auction begins
Friedrichs Auctions handles the City's vehicle auctions. Friedrichs Auctions is solely responsible for the accuracy and appropriateness of the information on its website.
- You must be at least 18 years old to attend.
- Only people with bidding numbers ($5, nonrefundable) will be allowed in.
- There's a minimum bid of $10 unless otherwise specified.
- You must pay for the vehicle in full at the auction.
Accepted forms of payment
You can pay with cash, preapproved business checks, American Express, Visa or MasterCard.
Vehicles sold at auction do not have license plates. Twenty-one-day permits (temporary registration) are available at the Impound Lot at no charge. You'll need one before you can drive the vehicle out of the lot.
The bill of sale for the vehicle will be mailed to you in one to two weeks. With the bill of sale, you can apply for a title and new license plates at Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS). On the back of the bill of sale is a safety check that the vehicle must pass before you can apply for a title.
Driver and Vehicle Services requires salvaged or rebuilt vehicles to be inspected. The nearest inspection station is in St. Paul.