Online Building, Plumbing and Mechanical permits for licensed contractors on 1 and 2 family dwelling unit properties. Online Street Use permits are available on all properties. Contractors can apply, pay and receive several simple (no plan or site review required permits using the web).
NOTICE OF ONLINE PERMITTING SYSTEM CHANGES
Online Permitting System Spring Update – We continue to have issues with our online permitting system and we greatly appreciate your patience during this time. We will notify the online users when the system becomes available. Please check our web site for updates and continue to fax applications to 612-370-1416. Thank you.
Permits may also be purchased in person at the Development Services Customer Service Center located at the Public Service Center, 250 S 4th Street, Room 300.
If you have questions and are located within Minneapolis call 3-1-1, if you are outside of the City, call 612-673-3000.
How are we doing? Take the Minneapolis Development Review Customer Survey. The survey takes 5-10 minutes to complete. Thank you!
How do I get a User Account?
Due to technical difficulties, the updated Minneapolis Online Permitting system will not be available until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience. Permit applications can still be faxed to the service center at 612-370-1416. Thank you.
What permits are available?
Three types of simple permit (no plan or site review required) and associated scopes of work are available Online:
- Plumbing Fixtures: Replace existing plumbing fixtures, water lines, backflow devices (not RBA’s, permits for Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow devices are not available online at this time).
- Water Heater – Replace: Replace existing gas water heater with a new gas water heater. The replacement of an electric water heater requires both electrical and plumbing permits.
- Water Meter: Replace or relocate an existing water meter .
- Gas Meter: Replace or relocate an existing gas meter.
- Gas Fixtures – Fireplace, Stove, Dryer: Replace or install a gas fireplace, stove or dryer.
- Carpentry Exterior: Repair/replace existing wood features w/o altering structural elements.
- Masonry Work: Repair/replace exterior brick veneer or chimney.
- Roofing: Remove existing, replace with approved system.
- Siding – Repair/Replace: Repair/replace existing siding w/o altering structural roof material and replace elements.
- Stucco/Plaster Repair/Replace: Repair or replacement of stucco or plaster down to and including the lathe.
- Window Replacement: Replace an existing window with like/kind – no change to the existing rough opening size.
- Combination: A combination of the above Scope Codes – normally requires a General Contractor’s license.
Street Use permits for dumpsters or storage containers
- Street Use: Permits for 1 - 2 residential units are issued in 30 day increments only and may be renewed up to a total of 120 days. All other Street Use permits can be 30, 60, or 90 days.
- Level 1: Includes Miscellaneous HVAC Work - No Burners
a. Radiation piping for space heating
b. Supplies & returns 6 openings or less (greater that 6 openings go to level 3)
c. Fresh air intake, air cleaner, humidifier, venting, fans, gas piping (heating systems only), radon mitigation and other accessories.
d. Air conditioner add-on or replacement
e. Solid fuel heating devices (wood, pellets, etc.)
- Level 2: Includes any Level 1 work and replacement of boilers/furnace
a. Replace boiler plus incidental piping
b. Replace furnace only with or without A/C - plenum included (no duct work beyond plenum)
c. Add or replace space heating unit
- Level 3: Includes any Level 1 or 2 work and entire system replacement
a. Remove existing system and install new (boiler or forced air system)
b. Install a new system to serve an existing non-conditioned space
How do I pay?
You will be able to make credit card payments online (The City will dispose of all paper credit card payment forms previously being kept on file using Payment Card Industry Standards). All major credit cards accepted. You must be able to supply the cardholder name, address, card number, expiration date, CVV code, and a valid email address or your permit cannot be processed. Your permit will be issued immediately after the payment has been confirmed and you will receive a confirmation by email. Please make sure your email address is entered correctly. All credit card information is secured using VerigSign® SSL encryption.
What computer set-up do I need?
The following computer capabilities are required:
- Access to the Internet
- A valid e-mail address
- A Web Browser: Internet Explorer Version 9 or later, Firefox Version 24 or later, Safari or Google Chrome
What is the refund Policy?
Access to Online Permitting
Pre-approved licensed contractors may access the online permitting application 24/7.
Last updated Mar 28, 2017