Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Which employees are entered into the Halogen system?
- How do I log in to the Halogen website?
- When do I receive an email notification?
- How do I reset my PerformMinneapolis password?
- How long can you be in the Halogen before it will time you out?
- Why did I get an Auto-Save message when I logged into Halogen?
- What are some general tips when using the Halogen?
- How do I assign an employee to another manager or a secondary manager?
HRIS and Halogen
- What is the relationship between Halogen and HRIS?
- Which is the official place of record, Halogen or HRIS?
- Does Halogen Software replace HRIS?
- Are disciplinary records still entered in HRIS?
- Can the employee edit a form after the Save and Submit is selected?
- Will I receive a warning when I select Save and Submit?
- What is the maximum number of characters allowed on forms? What about in the Feedback Notes?
Setting Work Expectations (Planning)
- What are the steps to Setting Work Expectations?
- How do I add additional work expectations outside of the initial setting work expectations process?
- How do I edit a work expectation?
- How do I change (or add) the department goal that my work expectations is linked to?
- What is the Feedback section?
- How do I add Feedback?
- Am I required to share Journal Notes and Supervisor Notes?
- How do I upload a document to my personal page in Halogen?
- How do I enter a Development Plan?
Performance Appraisal (Recognition)
- What are the steps to Performance Appraisal?
- Do supervisors receive a notification when their direct reports submit their self-appraisal?
- What should I do if my supervisor does not give me an annual performance appraisal?
- What if I forgot to sign off on my appraisal or my employee’s appraisal?
- How do I enter a performance appraisal outside the process?
- Can a list of accomplishments be added to the Performance Appraisal?
- Why can't I see my current supervisor on my form?
- I have a new employee. How do I get them access to Halogen so they can enter work expectations?
- As a supervisor, I don’t see the “My Employees” tab on my home page, but yet I have a task to complete for an employees. What does this mean?
- What should I do if, as a supervisor, I have an employee showing up who doesn’t report to me?
Every City employee can be entered into the Halogen system. Permit and Temporary employees expected to be employed for more than 6 months should be entered. Interns (with employee ID) who are employed with the City for more than 6 months should be entered. Contractors should not be entered in Halogen.
You can login to Halogen from any location that has internet access. Use the link https://ondemand.halogensoftware.com/minneapolis/welcome.jsp Enter your username (your six-digit employee ID) and your password. Your password must contain a minimum of 8 characters and contain at least one uppercase letter and one number.
You will receive email notifications when
- You have a task to do in Halogen – like enter work expectaions, sign off on a form, do a self-appraisal.
- You are nearing the deadline for a task – usually 3 days before the deadline.
- You are overdue completing a task. You will continue to get emails every 2 days if are overdue.
Note: If you have a step that depends on another person completing their step, your notification email to be sent at 1:00 a.m. the next day. If you know that the preceding step has been completed, you don’t need to wait for notification email, the next step in the process is available immediately.
You reset your password by selecting “Forgot Password” at the login screen and following the directions.
After 30 minutes of inactivity, a message will appear asking if you want to stay active. If you ignore the message, whatever you are doing will be saved and you will be logged out
There is an auto-save feature so that if your power goes out, if you lose your Internet connection or if you leave a form open for a prolonged period there will be a 'last copy' on file.
See General tips in the 2013 Performance Apprisals.
See Halogen features you can use during performance apprisal in the 2013 Performance Apprisals.
HRIS and Halogen
Halogen pulls basic employee data such as name, supervisor, department and other information from HRIS. Halogen information is not sent to HRIS.
Halogen is the official place of record for employee performance.
No, Halogen software does not replace HRIS.
Once the appeal period has ended, enter discipline information in HRIS on the Disciplinary Action Record and the Job Data pages, if necessary. Upload the Final Determination Letter as a document in Halogen. See Documents in the Halogen User Guides for how to upload a document.
No, it is no longer editable. The only exception is information entered on the Setting Work Expectations form. It is stored on your My Performance Page under " Work expectations." Work expectations can be edited either by the supervisor or by the employee if they are given editing rights by their supervisor. See To edit a work expectation in the Halogen Use Guides.
Yes. The system will show the following message if you choose the Save and Submit button.
30,000 is the maximum number of characters allowed in the comment sections for competencies and Job Success Factors, Supervisor Comments and Employee Comments. 3,000 is the maximum number of characters allowed in Work Expectation sections and Development Plan sections. 3,000 is the maximum number of characters allowed in Journal notes, Supervisor Notes and Recognition. Once the maximum number of characters is reached the following message will pop up in blue:
Planning (Setting Work Expectations)
- Employee drafts their work expectations
- Supervisor finalizes work expectations for employee (review, write and/or edit)
- Employee signs-off on work expectations
See Work Expectations in the Halogen User Guides.
See Work Expectations in the Halogen User Guides.
Click on the work expectation name. The Work Expectation Details screen will appear. You can change which organizational goal it is linked to by clicking on the icon next to "Linked to" and selecting a different department goal.
Employees and supervisors have a place to keep track of performance throughout the year: to copy an email from a satisfied customer, to make note of a challenge that came up and was resolved or to keep a record of a coaching conversation. There are three types of feedback notes.
- A Journal Note: A statement or comment written by the employee for themselves. You can decide to share the note with your supervisor. A Journal Note can be deleted by the employee who created it.
- A Supervisor Note: A statement or comment about an employee written by their supervisor. The supervisor can decide to share the note with the employee. A Supervisor Note can be deleted by the supervisor who created it.
- A Recognition: An acknowledgment of an achievement or a positive acclaim of performance written by any City employee to another. Recognition can be deleted by the employee who created it only if they have access to the feedback area of the employee they recognized (e.g. are their supervisor). Otherwise, recognition cannot be deleted by either the creator or recipient.
Being able to access these journal notes eliminates the scramble for results data, dates and comments when it’s time to do an appraisal.
SeeFeedback in the Halogen User Guides.
No, but you are urged to do so. In the interest of an open relationship between supervisor and employee, both should be sharing information.
See Documents in the Halogen User Guides for how to upload a document.
See Development Plans in the Halogen User Guides.
Performance Appraisal (Recognizing)
- Request a completed Self-Appraisal from your employees
- Complete a Performance Appraisal for each employee in Halogen. Save as draft.
- Meet with each employee to discuss performance
- Make any edits to the Performance Appraisal for each employee in Halogen. Save and submit.
- Sign off after the employee has signed off.
- Approve Work Expectations for each employee for the upcoming year in Halogen
- Complete Self-Appraisal in Halogen (optional but highly recommended)
- Meet with Supervisor to discuss performance
- Sign off on Performance Appraisal in Halogen
- Create, then sign off on Work Expectations or the upcoming year in Halogen
There is no email notification when an employee completes a self-appraisal. The self-appraisal is not a prerequisite step in Halogen before the supervisor can enter a performance appraisal.
Supervisors are required to conduct a performance appraisal for each employee at least once annually. The appraisal period is generally from January to March. If you do not receive your performance appraisal, first discuss it with your supervisor. If you do not receive an appraisal, speak with the HR Generalist assigned to your department.
For all people (employee, supervisor, manager) that sign off on the appraisal, an electronic signature page attached. For those that do not, the appraisal will be forced into completion at the conclusion of the appraisal period and the electronic signature will not be on the appraisal. However, regardless of signatures, the appraisal will be saved under the employees evaluations section in the Halogen software.
This question is under consideration.
The text fields on the Performance Appraisal form have a maximum of 2000 characters. However, you or your supervisor can upload a document (in any format – Word, PDF, Excel, etc.). See Documents in the Halogen User Guides for how to upload a document.
If the supervisor was updated after the form was opened, the supervisor change will not be reflected on the form.
- Before accessing Halogen, discuss work expectations with your employee.
- Be sure they have an employee ID and an email address in HRIS and that they are shown as reporting to you in HRIS.
- Request that the employee activate their account in Halogen.
1) Go to Halogen under Work Tools on CityTalk (or navigate to https://tms.na1.hgncloud.com/minneapolis/welcome.jsp)
2) Click “Activate Your Account” to set a password and security. Please note: The Activation Notice will be emailed to the employee, however, the email may go to “Junk Mail”. If this happens, they will need to drag the email into their “Inbox”.
- Once the employee can log into Halogen, ask them to follow the instructions for adding work expectations outside of the initial setting work expectations process under Work Expectations in the Halogen User Guides.
There is no “approval” or “sign-off” task, so there won’t be any notification emails.
This means that you are not set as the supervisor for the employee. “Reports To” relationships are imported from HRIS very night. Be sure the reporting relationship is correct in HRIS. If it is, email firstname.lastname@example.org and an administrator will correct it.
This means that you are incorrectly set as the supervisor for the employee. The correction needs to be made in HRIS first. Be sure the reporting relationship is correct in HRIS. If it is, email email@example.com and an administrator will correct it.
Last updated Oct 7, 2015