Location and General Characteristics
Morris Park makes up the southeastern border of Minneapolis. The neighborhood abuts the Twin Cities Air Force Reserve Base on the south, and 54th Street is its northern extent. Morris Park is also bordered by 34th Avenue on the west and 46th Avenue on the east, the latter of which serves as the city border. The neighborhood took its name from Mary C. Morris, daughter of Franklin Steele. Steele was the first European-American settler of the city of St. Anthony (on the east bank of the Mississippi River, in what is now Minneapolis), and he donated land to the University of Minnesota. A majority of the single-family homes were built from the 1920s through the 1960s. A large reason for the development in Morris Park during this time was the availability of streetcar routes and rail lines in this area that date back to 1865. Today, Morris Park is part of the Nokomis community and the Nokomis East Neighborhood Association (NENA). NENA encompasses a total of four neighborhoods. The other neighborhoods are Keewaydin, Minnehaha and Wenonah. Public and shopping amenities abound for Morris Park and the NENA neighborhoods with parks, lakes, a post office, library and shops either in Morris Park or adjacent neighborhoods.
Morris Park after the snow: two children take advantage of a few hours of sunlight in the playground.
Last updated Sep 27, 2011