Victim compensation

You can see if you are eligible for compensation and how to make a claim.

Ways to get reimbursed for loss or harm

There are two types of compensation available to crime victims:

  • Restitution — money paid to you by the defendant
  • Reparations — money paid to you by the state

Your victim/witness specialist can help you:

  • Determine if you are eligible for either type of compensation
  • Complete application forms 
  • Gather supporting documents
  • Present restitution forms to the judge
  • Submit reparations forms to the State Reparations Board



You can apply for this after a defendant pleads guilty to the crime or is convicted.

To make a restitution claim, you must:
  • Complete Form CRM301 Affidavit for Restitution
  • Provide documents to support your claim, including:
    • Medical, dental or counseling bills
    • Insurance receipts
    • Estimates for replacing or repairing stolen or damaged property
    • Proof of lost wages due to injury
    • Transportation receipts
  • Give the affidavit and supporting document to your victim/witness specialist. They will present the information to the judge
The judge decides if you will receive restitution and how much.
  • The out-of-pocket losses and expenses you request help the judge determine the amount.
  • There is no guarantee that you will receive the amount you requested or any restitution at all.
If you get restitution, the payment will come from Hennepin County
  • Defendants make their restitution payments to the Hennepin County District Court.
  • Hennepin County then pays you.




You can apply to this fund even if the defendant is found or pleads not guilty.

To make a reparation claim, you must:
  • Complete the Reparations Application Form
  • Submit the form to the Minnesota Crime Victims Reparations Board
You must use this money to pay for expenses related to the crime that have not been covered by another source. This may include:
  • Medical expenses
  • Funeral costs
  • Lost wages
  • Other expenses related to a crime

Contact us

Victim Services

City Attorney's Office




City Hall
350 Fifth St. S., Room 210
Minneapolis, MN 55415