Noise complaint

Information about filing a noise complaint.

What to do

See below for times and conditions that certain noises are allowed. To report noise outside of these situations, contact 311

For construction noise

  • Construction or demolition noise is allowed 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday.
  • An after-hours work permit is required for any work on Saturday or Sunday.
  • Homeowners do not need an after-hours work permit:
    • Weekdays from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
    • Weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

For garbage collection noise

For amplified sound or loud music

  • Outdoor amplified sound that can be heard above conversation from beyond 50 feet likely requires a sound permit at any time.
  • Sound from motor vehicle sound systems or audio systems clearly audible from beyond 50 feet is illegal. To report loud motor vehicles:
    • Call 911

For yard or snow maintenance noise

  • Use of power lawnmowers, trimmers, saws, leaf blowers or similar tools is allowed from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Use of snowblowers and snowplows is allowed anytime during an official snow emergency or within 24 hours of a snowfall of 1 inch or more.

See Code of Ordinances, Chapter 389 - Noise


If you want to report neighborhood noise, please follow the recommendations above. Unless you’re comfortable doing so, do not approach neighbors with your noise complaints.

Contact us

Minneapolis 311


7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

See list of City holidays

Business Licenses & Consumer Services



City Hall, Room 1
350 Fifth St. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office hours
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday – Thursday

10 a.m. – 4 p.m.