Extreme Heat Preparedness
Extremely hot weather can cause sickness or even death.
To download heat related brochures and posters, visit The CDC Extreme Heat Website .
- Spend time in air-conditioned buildings and avoid direct contact with the sun.
- Check on friends, family and neighbors twice a day during hot weather and have someone do the same for you.
- Wear loose, light-weight, light-colored clothing.
- Avoid using the stove or oven to cook.
- Take cool showers or baths.
- Drink more water than usual and don't wait until you are thirsty to drink more.
- Drink two to four cups of water every hour while working or exercising outside.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated beverages, or liquids containing high amounts of sugar.
- People with heart, kidney or liver disease, or on fluid restricted diets should check with their doctors before increasing fluid intake.
- Check local news for extreme heat alerts and safety tips.
- Share heat safety information with others.
- Learn the symptoms of heat sickness.
Who Needs Special Care?
Anyone 65 years or older, people living with chronic medical conditions, children, the homeless, outdoor workers, and athletes are most at-risk to heat sickness.
Signs of Heat Sickness
Seek medical care immediately if you or someone you know experiences symptoms of heat sickness.
- Heavy sweating
- Cold, pale and clammy skin
- Weak pulse
- Body temperature 103 F or higher
- Hot, dry skin
- Rapid and strong pulse
- Possible unconsciousness
Minneapolis Health Department
250 South 4th Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
If you need this material in an alternative format please call the Minneapolis Health Department at (612) 673-2301 or email email@example.com
Deaf and hard-of-hearing persons may use a relay service to call 311 agents at (612) 673-3000
TTY users may call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626
Attention: If you have any questions regarding this material please call the Minneapolis Health Department (612) 673-2301
Hmong - Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koj dawb, hu (612) 673-2800
Spanish - Atencion. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta informacion, llama (612) 673-2700
Somali - Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la' aan wac (612) 673-3500
Last updated Jun 16, 2014