HEALTHY CORNER STORES
Making healthy foods more visible, affordable and attractive in corner stores near you
Why Corner Stores?
- Residents often shop at corner stores within walking distance from their home, worksite, or school for meals to feed themselves and their families.
- In a 2012 survey of regular Minneapolis corner store customers, 94% said they would buy fruits and vegetables at their neighborhood corner store if they were made available and affordable to them.
The Health Department is teaming up with corner store owners in Minneapolis to improve access to fresh produce and healthier foods such as low-fat dairy and whole grains. Store owners learn important skills for buying and handling produce, and colorful signs help customers choose healthier food options. Community-based organizations also help deliver messages to their community, allowing this work to grow.
In 2014, the Health Department will:
- Support 10 corner stores to increase healthy foods, including fresh produce, healthy beverages and low-sodium offerings and become model healthy stores in the community.
- Offer free merchandising packages to store owners to improve fresh produce displays and connect owners with resources they need to offer healthy foods.
- Offer informal support to the stores previously enrolled in the program and to new owners interested in increasing healthy foods in their store.
- Encourage residents, community organizations or youth groups to "Adopt-a-Shop" by offering a helping hand to make changes and show local store owners their desire for increased access to healthy foods.
For more information, contact:
Where are Healthy Corner Stores in my neighborhood?
Look for the Healthy Corner Store Signs in front windows and inside stores or flyers in your neighborhood for fun events featuring our partner stores. Check out these participating stores to see their displays of fresh, healthy produce!
- Zaad's Food Market, 1510 W Broadway Ave
- K's Dollar and Grocery, 1021 W Broadway Ave
- Penn Gas Stop, 2606 Penn Ave N
- Northside Food Market, 3559 Lyndale Ave N
- Fremont Market, 3558 Fremont Ave N
- Jimmy's Foods, 1121 12th Ave N
- Galapagos Mercado, 420 E Hennepin Ave
- Minnesota Halal Market, 1926 Chicago Ave
- Midwest Halal Market, 2000 Portland Ave S
- Los Amigos, 2746 Blaisdell Ave S
Check out the Google Map link to these healthy corner stores!
- In 2013, stores participating in the program increased their percentage of produce sales by 155%!
- Since 2010, over 30 stores in north, northeast and south Minneapolis have participated in the program.
- Store owners report throwing away less spoiled produce each week once becoming part of the program.
- The Minneapolis Health Department is working with local produce distributors and growers to develop sustainable systems of procurement for store owners.
How can I make my store a Healthy Corner Store?
Economic studies show more and more customers want healthier foods and your store is a prime business that can offer these foods to the community. If you are a corner store owner and are interested in offering healthier foods at your store, we can help!
- In 2014, the Health Department will be offering FREE merchandising packages (while supplies last) and basic technical assistance for all store owners interested in increasing the quality and availability of healthy foods in their store.
- The Health Department is also working with the office of Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) to offer low interest loans to store owners to make cooler and refrigeration purchases for storing healthy food. Please contact us for more details!
How can I make a store in my neighborhood a Healthy Corner Store?
- Talk with the store owner at your local corner store and tell them you want to see more healthy food options!
- The Health Department is helping community members "adopt-a-shop"! This program is designed for neighborhood residents, youth, or community organizations interested in working with stores to encourage owners to offer healthier selections, decrease tobacco sales to minors, and make their neighborhood corner store a healthier place to shop. Contact us for more information! A toolkit and other resources will be available online soon.
- Corner Store One-pager - 2013
- Corner Store Sales Evaluation One-pager - 2013
- Corner Store Final Report - 2013
- Corner Store Sales Evaluation Report - 2013
- Adopt-A-Shop Toolkit for Community Members - *COMING SOON!*
- Corner Store Healthy Food Implementation Guide (2012)
- Healthy Corner Stores Network
- Healthy Eating Research - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Minnesota
(back to top of page)
Last updated Jun 3, 2014