TOBACCO FREE POLICIES
Eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke and electronic cigarettes
The new University of Minnesota Smoke-Free Housing Project is offering free assistance to properties in the Prospect Park, Marcy Holmes and Southeast Como neighborhoods. Attend a Smoke-Free Housing Lunch & Learn on Tuesday, January 13 at 12pm at Van Cleve Park to learn more. To RSVP or any questions, contact Carrie Noble of the University of Minnesota Office for Off-Campus Living at firstname.lastname@example.org or (612) 626-5301. Check out the project description here.
The Minneapolis Health Department pursues safe, clean air for Minneapolis residents by:
- Supporting the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority's adoption of tobacco-free policies in 42 high rise buildings by 2015.
- Increasing the number of tobacco-free rental properties in neighborhoods surrounding the University of Minnesota.
- Improving practices in community clinics to support patients who want to quit smoking.
- Implementing a policy prohibiting smoking on City-owned property
- Amending the Minneapolis Clean Indoor Air ordinance to include a prohibition on the use of electronic cigarettes anywhere that smoking is prohibited. To get a free window decal to inform customers of your worksite, bar, restaurant, retail store, place of worship, theatre, etc., email email@example.com!
For more information, contact:
- Minneapolis Public Houisng Authority (MPHA)
- Live Smoke Free
- University of Minnesota Neighborhood Liaisons program
- City of Minneapolis updated its clean indoor air ordinance to prohibit e-cigarette use in all indoor public places and places of employment.
- Minneapolis Public Housing Authority has implemented its tobacco-free policy in 35 of 42 high rise properties, significantly reducing smoking rates and exposure to secondhand smoke for thousands of residents.
- The University of Minnesota surveyed owners/landlords of rental property near University housing in neighborhoods and found that 51% still allow smoking in the building.
- The City of Minneapolis passed a pjolicy prohibiting the use of electronic cigarettes in City-owned vehicles and on City property, except in designated areas.
Are you a property manager interested in adopting a smoke-free policy? Are you a renter looking for smoke-free housing? Visit www.mnsmokefreehousing.org to get started!
- Live Smoke Free Smoke-Free Housing Information and Resources
- American Lung Association's Minnesota Freedom from Smoking Program
Last updated Dec 30, 2014