HEALTHY RESTAURANT PROGRAM
Assisting small, independently owned restaurants in creating and promoting healthy meals
In Minneapolis, individuals and families are eating many meals away from home, especially at casual dining restaurants. Restaurant entrees, appetizers, desserts, and even beverages taste good and are convenient, but they are often high in calories, fat, sodium, and sugar. Restaurants can play an important role in improving the health of their customers and community by including nutritious foods on their menus.
The Minneapolis Healthy Restaurant Program is designed to assist independently owned restaurants in creating and promoting healthy meal options that are nutritious, tasty, satisfying, and a good value. The Health Department is working with restaurant owners and chefs along with nutrition and culinary experts to create healthier versions of popular recipes, train servers to promote healthy options to customers, and develop marketing materials to highlight healthy menu items.
Eight restaurants are currently participating in the 2014-2015 pilot program. Each restaurant is receiving free individualized assistance as they work to improve their healthy food options including nutritional analysis of menu items by a registered dietitian, training on recipe modifications and healthy cooking practices from a professional chef, and promotional materials and marketing assistance from a public relations agency.
- Afro-Deli – 1939 S 5th St
- Kilimanjaro – 3021- 5th Ave S
- Daalo Grill – 2647 Nicollet Ave
- Los Andes – 317 W Lake St
- La Colonia – 2205 Central Ave NE
- La Poblanita – 1617 E Lake St
- K’s Dollar & Deli – 1021 W Broadway Ave
- Taqueria Los Ocampos – 809 E Lake St
- Map of participating restaurants
- The Everyday Table, LLC
- Students from the University of Minnesota Nutrition and Dietetic Diadactic Program
- Created a Menu of Healthy Practices to guide restaurants’ activities for improving the availability, price, portion size, and promotions of healthy items.
- Developed a recruitment packet in English and Spanish – including health education materials, a simple memorandum of understanding, and the menu of healthy practices – and utilized these resources to recruit 8 restaurants (3 Somali, 4 Latino, 1 American fast casual).
- Our Nutrition/Culinary consultants have analyzed the nutrition content of popular entrees at each restaurant and have made recommendations for recipe modifications that will help each item meet the Rand Corporation’s Performance Standards for Restaurants.
- Identified promotional strategies with restaurant owners to market healthy entrees and healthy eating practices
- Conducted restaurant owner surveys as part of baseline evaluation strategy.
- Look for the “Better Bites” logo to try out one of the new healthy entrees at our participating restaurant sites.
- Talk with the manager at your favorite restaurant about your desire to see more healthy appetizers, sides, entrees, beverages, and desserts on the menu.
- For restaurants: Contact Healthy Restaurant Program staff for advice on how to offer and promote healthy meal options at your restaurant.
- For more information, contact:
E: [email protected]
- Rand Corporation - Performance Standards for Restaurants
- Restaurant Capacity Assessment template
- Restaurant Action Planning template
- Restaurant recruitment packet, including:
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Aug 14, 2018