Minneapolis Charter + Alternative Schools
Healthy Schools, Healthy Communities Project
Healthy Schools, Healthy Communities is a two-year project that supports Minneapolis charter and alternative schools in revitalizing their current wellness policies and nutrition and physical activity practices to promote optimal student health and learning.
We are partnering with Minneapolis charter and alternative schools and using evidence-based strategies to create changes in policies, systems and environments that support healthy behaviors in schools. Our work involves:
- Reviewing current school wellness policies and assessing physical activity and nutrition practices;
- Providing support for revising current school wellness policies to increase comprehensiveness and strength; and
- Providing technical assistance and resources to implement best practices in school wellness policies and nutrition and active school programming.
Progress to Date:
- All partnering schools have completed a baseline physical activity and nutrition assessment.
- All partnering schools have formed school health action teams to work on improving their school wellness policies and nutrition and physical activity practices.
- School health action teams are using the information from their assessment to inform their wellness policy revision and to create action plans for implementing practices to support them.
We are partnering with 22 schools from across Minneapolis and reaching approximately 3,000 students. Our school partners are:
Augsburg Fairview Academy
Bright Water Montessori
Long Tieng Academy
Minnesota Transitions School (MTS) Elementary
MTS Banaadir Academy
MTS P.E.A.S.E Academy
MTS MIA Academy
PYC Art and Technology
Richard Allen Math and Science Academy
Southside Family Charter
VOA SALT High
VOA Opportunity High
Sarah Reuben, MA
Phone: (612) 673-2672
Last updated Oct 23, 2013